slide show

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Catching up, weeks 5-8

Here’s how the next few weeks went…

First comes nausea, well actually first came cramping or maybe even having to pee a lot, (it's all a blur already) but nausea was definitely at the top of the list. Really, already? Week 6ish came around and I thought I had some bird flu. No fever or sweats, just random nausea. Obviously not the flu. Aren’t you supposed to feel pregnant before the puking feelings emerge? Warning, warning. Who’s up for a little foreshadowing with the puking?

My recurring nightmare - I walk slowly at first as a room full of teenage eyes glare into the back of my head. “Where is she going?” they mutter. Once I make it to the door, I’m free to book it down my hall and dodge a few random students. It reminds me of a giant game of Frogger. I’m the frog half way across the street that is about to get pummeled. I lose all my pride as I bump into a kid that smells like the mall, Abercrombie to be exact, and he gives me an oh-you-just-didn’t look. Yes, I did and I would apologize if my mouth wasn’t full. I dive the last 30 feet looking for the safety of the bathroom. Luckily, I have only had one really bad day at school so far, and thankfully I was able to sneak away without being too obvious. I'll knock on wood about that one.

At this point I should have invested in some duck tape to slap across my mouth or a big fat muzzle to shut me up! I have to stop talking. I know I’m going to let the secret slip and yet I feel like everyone already knows somehow. If you know me, you know I talk about everything from my morning toothbrush session to a pair of shoes I saw at the mall, so something as huge as this is killing me to keep quiet. The less I talk the better!

Speaking of the mall, I run into an old friend and seriously wish I could be wearing one of those “I’m not fat, I’m pregnant” shirts so she doesn’t tell everyone how chunky I am. Yes, I know I’m not supposed to have really gained weight yet, but ugh, I swear my stomach is so squishy! I want these t-shirts for every day of the week. Think Chris would wear this one? Number overload. Brain conversions begin. Months turn into weeks, weeks turn into appointments and appointments turn into “whoa, what’s that?” The first doctor’s appointment was definitely an experience. Like a good sister, Kam gave me the heads up about this wand and rubber thing that looks like a…well, let’s just say I was shaking in my chair before they paged us in. What am I getting into?

I’ve never prayed so hard for something to be healthy. To be perfectly honest, I was scared to death that we were going to see a herd of babies chilling in there. As the doctor starts doing his thing my fear starts to become a reality as the word “babies” slips out of his mouth. Oh crap! I hear Chris take in a huge breath from over my shoulder. I don’t dare look in his direction. “Oh, I mean baby,” the doctor says as he lets out a few giggles and chomps his gum a few times. “Just kidding, for sure there is just one in there.” Not funny, not funny at all!

Congratulations, it looks like a lot of blotches with a little smudgy core. That’s the cutest smudge I’ve ever seen! The doctor showed us its little head and we tried our hardest to use our imagination to believe what we saw was a little baby. I immediately fell in love with its flickering heartbeat, what a relief. Our due date is officially April 13th which couldn’t be more perfect! I’ll take a little maternity leave and then slide right into summer vacation!

4 comments:

Ryan and Heidi said...

I love reading your blog! Oh man I would've been so mad at my dr if he pulled that trick on me! Isn't hearing the heart beat for the first time just the most amazing thing ever? It's like how can something that little be alive! Pregnancy is an amazing thing! Oh and the weird dreams...Weird huh! Hope you're not feeling too horrible! Good luck!

Ryan and Heidi said...

Oh and that shirt is hilarious!

Chelle said...

Mitz! you gotta spill the beans!! BOY or GIRL?

Anonymous said...

Mitzi congratulations. I can't believe that you that far along and I didn't even know. I am so excited for you and you are due a week after me how fun!!