slide show

Monday, September 29, 2008

Remembering weeks 1-4

Like everything else I do in my life, I’m probably going to go way above the norm and blog way too much about this new pregnancy thing. I apologize now. I want to document all this because 1-) I want to remember every nitty gritty detail about pregnancy so if the time comes when a baby number two ever crosses my mind I can make an informed decision, and 2-) this is the only first pregnancy I’ll have and I’ll probably be way too busy to write stuff down next time. I realize most of this is TMI, so read as you wish and remember, I warned you! So, here is a catch up from the first few weeks.

The pregnancy scare. We’ve all had them. You have this feeling deep down that there’s a baby Mildred attached to your uterine wall and she’s clinging there with the death grip because she knows that you’re just not ready for a baby yet. Call it intuition, but you know you’re pregnant. Your mind tricks you into making up pregnancy symptoms and all. Then aunt Flow shows up and you take a deep breath. It’s happened to us all. In fact, mine came just a few months after we got married and were both still in school.

So, the month that I found out I was really pregnant, you’d think I’d see it coming...right? I guess my sixth sense has never really had a full battery because I’m always the last one to find out everything. Good thing I had already peed all over that little stick because I might have wet myself when I saw that very faint positive line. Was I imagining it? I didn’t (and still don’t) feel pregnant at all. I couldn’t just take one test, I had to be completely positive so I ended up taking three. One gave me a faint blue line, one was barely pink, and I finally had to get one that would blink “pregnant” at me. I still feel like going into the bathroom at 12 weeks and taking just one more test, just to be sure.

Wow, me a mom? The only thing I’ve ever taken care of was my brainless goldfish, Boris, that was blind in one eye and would ram into the tank going full speed. It’s sad to say, but I gave my fish away when I realized the only things fish do are eat, poop, and make a huge mess for me to clean up. Hummmm sounds like something else in my future!
Planning ahead - oh man, prego in Guatemala at 25ish weeks? Let’s play good idea, bad idea. Good idea- travel before you have a baby. Bad idea- before you have a baby travel to a foreign country, sleep on the floor, don’t drink the water, steer clear of the local food, try to build a building, slap a million mosquitoes, and have hardly any health care all while being knocked up. Do they have ice cream or pickles in Guatemala? What are we thinking…Guatemala?

I’m hoping something will change in the next little bit to make me realize I’m pregnant. I’d get excited over any change about now. I’d love a new motherly outlook on life or a change of eating habits even, but life just feels like life and I’ve always ate like I was feeding two.

7 comments:

The Porter Family said...

Congrats girl!!! That is so exciting! Do you know your official due date yet? Don't worry about not feeling preggo yet....I didn't even after hearing the heartbeat for the first time (which is amazing!), but once the morning/afternoon/all the time sickness kicks in, you DEFINITELY feel preggo. Women in Guatemala have been having babies just as long as the rest of us so I am sure they have some kind of delicious preggo women food for ya. :) No worries-it will all be fine. Congrats again hon!

Steph said...

You are such a good blogger, I wish I wasn't such a slacker, hopefully I won't regret it later :) I totally was going to comment on your last post about there only being one pregnancy test in the picture but then I wasn't sure if it would be TMI, hehe.. I think you'll do great in Guatemala my friend, the second trimester you're usually feeling pretty good and you're one tough cookie! Oh and I love the story about the "pregnancy scare," totally remember those feelings!

Erin said...

I am excited to check back to your blog often to hear (read) all your pregnancy updates. You will NOT regret documenting it!! Also, I really felt pregnant once I heard the heart beat and the first little flutters. Oh Mitz I am SO SO SO excited for you! Good luck in Guatemala :)

Ryan and Heidi said...

Congrats! Oh my heavens! you will LOVE being a mom! I have to say that I felt pregnant before I knew I was pregnant because the sickness started early for me...yuck! But not everyone has a bad pregnancy! Hope yours goes well! What are you going to Guatemala for? What a fun adventure!

hoLLY said...

Yay! I now I told you last night congrats, but Im gunna tell you again , CONGRATS! Im very excited for you guys, your going to be great parents! Im excited to see your belly when you start to show!

The Sayamas said...

What's with Guatemala? Did Chris go there on his mission? What part are you visiting? Pregnant or not I am so jealous you get to go there! I LOVE it there, my favorte place is near Lake Atitlan. Actually it's about one of my favorite places period.

Tori said...

Mitzi! That's so exciting! Tell Chris good job ;) Can't wait to hear more details!