slide show

Monday, November 24, 2008

The birthday bash ends

Birthdays are awesome. Birthdays are even more awesome when they are stretched out over a week and filled with parties.

It seems like every year I get spoiled on my birthday. This year was no exception. My husband is actually a pretty good shopper and got me an outfit complete with a purse, shoes, and everything. The fam gave me some money (that I plan to splurge on fat clothes) a bunch of baby stuff, a hat, a bracelet, a pedicure gift certificate, and Chris’ family even made me the coveted Udarbe slush for Sunday dinner. I’ll give you the recipe as long as you promise to bring me some whenever you make it.
Slush

1 46 oz can pineapple juice

6 oz frozen lemonade concentrate

6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate

5 large bananas, mashed

6 C water

3C sugar

apple juice or 7-up

In a large saucepan, cook water & sugar together until sugar is melted. Add juices & fruit; stir to blend; freeze in containers (not too deep) at least a day before serving. To serve, remove from freezer & let thaw slightly. Combine with equal parts of apple juice or 7-up.

One of the things I look forward to the most is birthday time at my aunt Meri’s. I love just being at her house. Last night I walked in and the smell of delicious food hit me before we even got through the front door. I love the noise of all the family gathered in her kitchen. I feel like it’s my other other home. You know, it’s the place you miss if you don’t visit often. It’s the place that holds so many of our family memories.

My aunt Meri always goes above and beyond at birthday time. This year I got made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls that were to die for. She even sent a pan of them home with me that is just waiting for me to devour. It's always a burden choosing what I want for my birthday dinner, but this year Meri outdid herself with the best ham dinner ever. My dad made gravy that seriously tastes like candy.

I can’t even tell you how loved I have felt this last week. Thanks everyone for being so thoughtful!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Ok so now I feel like a horrible friend. I did not even know it was your b-day! So HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You deserve a special "week" because you are just one of the best people I know!!! When was your b-day? I need to put it on my calander for next year :)

ps. how did you like the muddy buddies?

Chelle said...

Happy Birthday Mitz!!! I hope you had an awesome day! I just love you to death!!

Ruth said...

Happy birthday girl! Can't wait to see a picture of you in that outfit Chris bought! . . . and now I'm hungry after reading about your aunt's cooking!

hoLLY said...

happy birthday!!!!